Penny Gkritzapi became the resident Designer/Director with Polymorph in 2016, bringing a new and vital contribution to the process. Penny’s primary role within Polymorph is as Designer/Director of the stage projects where she has become the driving force behind Polymorph’s growing reputation for high quality Fringe Theatre, especially at Edinburgh. She has also contributed as an actor, taking the lead role in a production at Camden Etcetera of one of Polymorph’s most enduring shows, The Box, when she played Jill.
A classically trained actor, attending both the University of Fine Arts (Nafplio) and the Mary Voyiatzi- Traga Drama School (Athens) in her native Greece, Penny has also gained an MA in Theatre Directing at the University of East London, and now pursues Directing as her main area of interest.
Outside of her work with Polymorph, Penny works throughout the year as an Associate with the Blue Sky Actors, a group based at the Stratford Circus complex in London, and on a variety of standalone projects. She has also taught “Theatre in Education” in public schools for students aged 6-12.
Penny has the varied and impressive CV given below, a copy of which can be downloded in PDF format by clicking on this link.
Penny is a member of Stage Directors UK. SDUK is the professional association for Stage Directors in the UK.
• 2007-2011: University of Fine Arts, Department of Theatre Studies, Nafplio, Greece
• 2011- 2014: Mary Voyiatzi-Traga Drama School, Athens, Greece
• 2014-2015: MA Theatre Directing, University of East London
• Dulce et Decorum Est: The Unknown Soldier, Polymorph Theatre, Edinburgh Fringe
• 10 Rillington Place, Polymorph Theatre, Edinburgh Fringe (Summer 2017)
• Abberline’s Artefact, Polymorph Theatre, Edinburgh Fringe (Summer 2016)
• W.A.N.T. (Women Are Not Toys), Stratford Circus Theatre (Spring 2015)
• Atalanta, First Primary School of Atalanti/ Greece (Summer 2014)
• Idonothopeforanything.Idonotfear anything;Ihavefreedmyself,Megaron
Doukissis Plakentias, Athens/ Greece (Spring 2014) – Assistant Director
• If I’m late go to sleep, Simeio Theatre, Athens/Greece (Summer 2011)
• Bang-Bang You’re Dead, Trianon Theatre, Nafplio /Greece (Winter 2010)- Assistant Director
• 11 productions with Blue Sky Actors, Stratford Circus, London (2014- today)
• The Box, Etcetera Theatre, London (Winter 2016)
• The Little Matchbox Girl, Thymeli Theatre, tour around Greece (Summer 2013-
• Mixed Theatrical Salad, PK Theatre, (Spring 2010)
• Grass, Trianon Theatre, (Spring 2009)
• Drama Teacher in Elementary Public Schools. Age group:
6-12 years old. Teaching “Theatre in Education” lesson